National Requirements Sweden



Applying for EuroPsy in Sweden? Visit website

  • Psychology Education

To become a Psychologist in Sweden you must have a five year education, both practical and theoretical, in psychology. After this you will need one year of supervised practice to work as a licensed psychologist in health care. If you have received education in psychology from a country outside of Sweden and wish to apply for a Swedish licence as a psychologist, one year of supervised practice is still mandatory.

The following university programmes meet EuroPsy requirements:

There are eleven universities in Sweden offering a complete psychology education up to a masters level. 

University City Programme
Stockholm University Stockholm MSc
Lund University Lund MSc
Uppsala University Uppsala MSc
Göteborg University Goteborg MSc
Umeå University Umea MSc
Linköping University Linkoping MSc
Karolinska Institute Stockholm MSc
Örebro University Orebro MSc
Mid Sweden University Ostersund MSc
Linnaeus University Vaxjo MSc
Karlstad University Karlstad MSc
  • Supervised Practice arrangements (for the EuroPsy certificate)


  • Training of supervisors


  • Recognition of title

The title of “psychologist” is legally recognised and protected, to obtain this title one must receive a licence from the National Board of Health and Welfare NBHW

  • License to practice

After five years of education there is a one-year obligatory supervised practice before you can be licensed by the (NBHW).

  • Continuing Professional Development (CPD)

There are no official arrangements for CPD, but the Swedish Psychological Associations General Assembly has assigned the board of the association the mission of starting a program for CPD.