National Requirements Netherlands



Applying for EuroPsy in the Netherlands? Visit website 

  • Psychology education

The education for psychologists leading to professional recognition in the Netherlands is as follows:
3-year bachelors honours degree + 1 year master’s degree +  2 years of additional supervised training.
The university curriculum is in line with EuroPsy standards, the national accreditation authority monitors the educational content delivered on university programmes. 

  • The following university programmes meet EuroPsy requirements:

Name of university

City MA/MSc degree
Erasmus Universieit Rotterdam Rotterdam MSc Psychology
Open University Heerlen MSc Psychology
Radboud Universiteit Nijmegen MSc Psychology
Rijksuniversiteit Groningen Groningen MSc Psychology
Tilburg University Tilburg MSc Psychology
Twente University Twente MSc Psychology
Universiteit Leiden Leiden MSc Psychology
Universiteit Maastricht Maastricht MSc Psychology
Universiteit Utrecht Utrecht MSc Psychology
Universiteit van Amsterdam Amsterdam MSc Psychology
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam MSc Psychology
  • Supervised practice arrangements (for the EuroPsy Certificate) 

Those who have completed a three years bachelors degree, a one year master’s degree programme, and 2 additional years of follow on training are eligible to apply for the EuroPsy. There are currently three taught training programmes which have been developed to fulfil registration requirements for Health Care Psychologists, Child & Youth Psychologists, and Work & Organisational Psychologists. One year during this training programme must include supervised practice.

  • Arrangements for training of supervisors

Supervisors must be NIP or BIG registered. They must have five years of work experience post-qualification and are required to have met the necessary ‘supervisor  training’ to be an accredited supervisor. National arrangements for training of supervisors are in place for the NIP Registered psychologists and Child and Youth psychologists.

  • Recognition of title

Health Care Psychologists are registered by a law known as the ‘BIG’ registration, which is regulated by the government. Child & Youth Psychologist, and Work & Organisational Psychologists are registered and regulated by the Dutch Association of Psychologists (Nederlands Instituut van Psychologen, NIP). More information here.

  • License to practise


  • Continuing professional development (CPD)

Continuous professional development requirements are in place across training programmes for Health Care psychology, Child and Youth psychology and Work and Organisational psychology. Those who hold the BIG registration have to apply for a revalidation every 5 years, evidencing CPD carried out. Those who hold the NIP (Child & Youth psychologists and Work and Organisational psychologists) registration must also apply for a revalidation every 5 years, evidencing at least 120 hours in five years in a range of different types of professional development activities.